Select A Career In Social Work Education
A Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW) is designed to teach, and prepare people with scientific temper, professional acumen, democratic attitude and secular value to manage social work agencies in the country. The goal is to prepare professionally trained social workers for the new socio-economic milieu in the country.
* The main objective of the course is to train young men and women in the methods of social work, social case work, group work, community development, social action, social policy, planning and administration social work, research and social welfare management.
* It is aimed to give intensive field work training through “open field work” agency based field work HRM/ Rural/ Urban/ Tribal/ Criminology/ Medical/ Family Welfare camps and study tours.
* The goal of this study programme is to train persons who can professionally manage community development, family and child welfare, medical and psychiatric setting s, correctional administration, apart from being specialists in social policy formulation, Human Resource Management, Social Work Management, Industrial Management and Social Work Research.
Fields of Social Work Education:
Social work is practiced in;
* Child Development
* Rural & Urban Development
* Industrial Development
* Social development
* Family Welfare and Planning
* Mental Health
* Mental Retardation
* Social Defense
* Human Resource Management
One can get employment as personnel officer, community mobilizer or coordinator, social worker in private as well as public sector companies. One can also devote oneself with zeal to social work. The professional social worker has to do MSW (Master of Social Work), with specialization in human resource management, criminology and correctional administration, medical and psychiatric social work, family and child welfare, rural and urban community development, and school social work. Almost all schools of social work in the country import training leading to higher degrees of M. Phil, Ph. D & D. Litt in social work.
Social workers who specialize in the area of human resource management can get jobs in the Personnel, HRM, Welfare departments of factories and commercial organization as executive officers, trainee officers, welfare officers and social security officers.
Eligibility for MSW:
* Should have completed graduation from any discipline with 50% marks (5% relaxation for SC/ST candidates).
* Should have cleared entrance test conducted by the university or institutes.
* Group discussion/ interview.
Duration: 2 years or 4 Semesters.
* Most of the universities or institutes conduct the entrance test for the admission for MSW in the month of June / July, and advertisement for the admission test is published in various newspapers like Employment News, Hindustan Times, Time of India and local newspapers like Amar Ujala, Dainik Jagran, Aaj and others etc.
Various Institutes Conducting Courses:
Various universities and institutes are imparting professional courses in social work:
* Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai (Maharashtra)
* Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth, Banaras (U.P)
* Institute of Social Sciences, Dr B. R Ambedkar University, Agra (UP)
* M.J.P University, Bareilly (UP)
* Jamia Millia University, Delhi
* Kurushetra University, Kurukshetra (Haryana)
* Delhi school of Social University of Delhi.
* Dr. B. R Ambedkar Institute of Social Sciences, Bundelkhand University, Jhansi (UP)
* Jain Vishva Bharti Institute, Ladnoon, Nagaur (Rajasthan)
* Banaras Hindu University, Banaras (UP)
* Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh (UP)
* Chaudhry Charan Singh University, Meerut (UP)
* Kanpur University, Kanpur (UP)
* Rajasthan Vidya Peeth, Udaipur (Raj)
* Sri Hari Singh Gaur University (MP)
* M S University, Baroda
* Punjab University, Patiala
* Gujarat Vidya Peeth, Ahmedabad.
* Dr R.M.L Avadh University, Faizabad (UP)
* Vikram University, Ujjain (MP)
* Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Calcutta University
* Ahmednagar College, Poona University, Ahmednagar.
* Madras School of Social Work, Egmore, Chennai
* Andhra University, Waltair (AP)
* Sri Padmavati Mahila Visva Vidhyalay, Tirupati
* M.S.S College, Nagpur (Maharashtra)
* Nagpur University, Nagpur.
A good future exists in the field of social work education. Research scholars may avail fellowship form UGC, Research Foundation, Ministry of HRD, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Social Defense, Criminology & Correctional Administration, (Ministry of Home Affair), UNICEF, WHO, and other leading institutes, NGOs and funding agencies.
Select A Career In Social Work Education