Career Opportunities In Foreign Languages
Over the years, a large number of people have acquired skills in selected foreign languages mainly French, German & Russian. Of late we are expanding our trade links with many other countries namely China, Japan and Israel. There is a large requirement of people with skills in these languages. Recently I had a requirement of getting a technical paper in Hebrew (The language of Israel) translated in English. I had a harrowing experience to locate a qualified person to so the job. And once the person was located, he had to be paid Rs.30, 000/- for a 30 page document. The same is the case with other two languages I have mentioned above. I have come to know that translation charges for Japanese have gone up to Rs.2000/- per page for certain types of jobs. The rate for good interpreters in all these languages is as high as Rs.4000/- per hour.
Job Overview: Translator’s job involves translating the written material which can be in the form of general correspondence instructions, technical data, catalogues, political speeches or even books. The interpreter’s job on the other hand is bit more difficult and requires much thorough knowledge of the language.
Work Area: The scope of the work area is wide. It could be in hotels and the tourism industry. It could be with commerce, business and industrial houses. Embassies and diplomatic missions. In addition, it offers an easy passport to work abroad. Then there are many opportunities for private tuitions where rates of Rs.300-500 per hour are fairly common.
Types of Courses: There are basically three types of courses namely, Certificate Course, Diploma course and a degree course. The eligibility criterion for Certificate and d Degree courses is 10+2. However, in most of the places, eligibility for Diploma course is the Certificate Course in that language.
No Correspondence Course: Learning a foreign language is one thing and using it to earn money is another. To earn a livelihood through a foreign language, one has to be constantly in touch with the use of language by reading newspapers, magazines and books. In addition, one has to be in touch with other people who can speak that language to improve speaking skills, understand and appreciate the fines aspects of the language which comes only through speaking and conversation. Such courses should therefore never be done through correspondence.
Where to Study: Given below is a comprehensive list of places where one can undergo courses in these languages. The list is prepared language-wise and is self explanatory.
* Dr.Babasaheb Ambedkar Maratwada University, Aurangabad-431004. (1 year Diploma in Chinese)
* Punjabi University, Patiala-147001 (Certificate & Diploma in Chinese)
* Utkal University, PO Vani Vihar, Bhubaneshwar – 751004. (2 year Diploma in Chinese)
* University of Delhi, Delhi-110007. (1 year Certificate in Chinese)
* University of Hyderabad, PO Central University, Hyderabad-500046. (1 year Diploma in Chinese)
* University of Lucknow, Badshah Bagh, Lucknow 226007 (Certificate & Diploma in Chinese)
* Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi-220005 (2 year Diploma in Chinese, 1 year Certificate in Japanese)
* School of Languages, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi-110067. (BA in Chinese, Japanese)
* Tilka Manjhi Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur-812007. (BA in Chinese, Japanese)
* University of Mumbai, MG Road, Fort Mumbai-400032 (BA in Chinese, Japanese)
* Vishwa Bharati, Shantiniketan 731235. (Certificate & Diploma in Chinese, Japanese)
* University of Madras, Centenary Building, Chepauk, Chennai-600 005. (2 years Diploma in Japanese)
* University of Pune, Ganeskhind (Certificate & Diploma in Japanese)
* University of Calcutta, Senate House, College Street, Kolkata-700073. (BA in Hebrew)
* University of Calicut, Mallapuram, Kozhikode-673635. (BA in Hebrew)
In addition, there are various cultural/counselor organizations that offer carious language courses e.g. the following 3 institutes offer various courses in Japanese language:
* J Somaiya Centre of Buddhist Studies, 2nd Floor, SIMSR Building, Vidyavihar, Ghatkopar, Mumbai – 400077.
* Indo-Japanese Association, 7th Floor, Oricon House, 12-K Dubash Marg, Mumbai-400023.
* Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan, Jawaharlal Nehru Academy of Languages, Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi 110001.
* India is on its way to become a ‘developed nation’ and an economic power. It is going to happen because of its increasing trade-links with the most rapidly advancing nations. Thus there is great scope for translators and interpreters in these languages. The time is now ripe to get into the field.
Career Opportunities In Foreign Languages